Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Peanut Butter and Chocolate Buckeyes Recipe


In my family, the only time we get buckeyes is Christmas, because the only person who makes them is my grandmother's sister's cousin, or something like that. Every year, this lady comes baring buckeyes and everyone goes wild. When I was a child, I remember getting into a fight with my cousin over the last buckeye, the fight ended with me licking the candy, putting it down and him eating it. Guess that trick doesn't work too well when you're used to eating after each other anyways. But one day I decided that I wanted buckeyes right then, so I set out to find my own recipe.


Ingredients

1 1/2 c peanut butter, preferably creamy

1 c butter, softened

1/2 tsp vanilla

6 c confectioners sugar

4 c semi-sweet chocolate chips


Directions

1. In a large bowl, mix together the peanut butter, butter, vanilla and confectioners sugar with an electric mixer. The dough will look dry. Roll into 1 inch balls and place on a wax paper lined baking sheet.

2. Place a tooth pick in the top of each ball. Chill in the freezer until firm, about 30 minutes.

3. Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler ( I used a bowl over a pan of barely simmering water) Stir until smooth

4. Dip peanut butter balls in chocolate, holding the toothpick. Leave a small portion of the peanut butter showing at the top. Place back on the cookie sheet and refridgerate until serving.


Makes 30 Buckeyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment